Sequence of Activities:
Community Check-In (15 Minutes)
- Engage students by sharing their names, pronouns (students are welcome to self-identify or not); during the pandemic what has brought them warmth and what has been a little chilly (something that was challenging)
- Sidenote: each answer can be as silly or serious as the student feels comfortable
- Introducing snapping in solidarity: snap if you relate to what a student said. Explain that this is a great way to let students know I am holding space for you. Invite them to do the same.
Warm-Up Activity (20 Minutes)
- Students bring an object that answers some of the following prompts:
- Find an object that starts with the letter of first your name and discuss!
- Find an object that represents how you feel during class and discuss!
- Find an object that has kept you safe during these wonky times.
- Allow students to share why they chose this object.
Write (15 minutes)
- Allow students to choose an object they would like to write about. Write a poem using the following line prompts.
Share Poems (10 Minutes)
- Allow students to share a poem
- Equitable sharing strategies to share poetry:
- Have all students read poems at the same time
- Offer to read a poem for students
- Listeners: encourage snaps and warm comments after the students have read their poem