While Kids Create is currently on hiatus, as the Poetry Center will remain closed this Fall. Check out the April and May 2020 editions of Virtual Kids Create, a remote, self-guided rendition of this monthly day for children and their favorite adults.
One Saturday a month, we turn the Poetry Center over to the kids through our Kids Create program! A full schedule of Kids Create events can be found here.
Kids Create is a day of workshops, music, activities, and refreshments just for kids from infant to age 10 and their parents and guardians. It’s free and open to the public, and is a great way to engage with your child through reading, writing, play, and dance.
Kids Create begins with a set of hour-long creative writing workshops. We offer three age-appropriate workshops simultaneously, serving children aged 0 through 10. Parents may self-select the workshop that works best for their child (see descriptions of our three age-appropriate workshops below). Workshops are designed to be fun and playful. This isn't school (yeah!), but you may notice an increased facility and interest in reading and writing when your child attends. Kids Create workshops are designed to for parents and children to do together, and can provide a new, rich way for you and your child to interact. Arrive a little before 10:00 a.m., when workshops start, to register! After the workshops, we offer a breakfast concert featuring healthy food, coffee, and live local music that can be enjoyed by kids and adults alike. Drop-in activities and typewriters are scattered throughout the library and available for use until the library closes.
A typical schedule for the day is as follows:
- Sign in from 9:45 to 10:00 a.m.
- Writing workshops from 10:00 to 11:00 a.m.
- Breakfast concert from 11:00 a.m to 12:00 noon.
- Activity stations throughout the library from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Kids Create Writing Workshop Descriptions
- Sing-a-Long (for children ages 0 to 3): Local musician and educator Gabrielle Pietrangelo teams up with a Kids Create facilitator to lead this fun and heartwarming sing-a-long story time.
- Ready to Read Poetry (for children ages 4 to 6): Participants in this workshop write collaborative poems and stories while practicing letter recognition, rhyming, and a variety of literary elements like onomatopoeia, metaphor, simile, and others.
- Creative Writing Workshop (ages 7 to 10): Participants in this workshop write both independently and collaboratively and read classic poems and stories as a means to inspire their own writing process. Workshop facilitators guide participants through a series of playful, fun, and interesting explorations of language that emphasize the stages of the writing process. Participants leave with an original story or poem.