Sequence of activities:
Let’s Visualize (5 mins)
Have students sit in a comfortable place with their writing supplies and close their eyes. Make a suggestion that crisscross apple sauce is a good place to start if the students ask how they should sit. Have the students practice a breathing technique. I say, “Smell the cupcake (breathing in), Blow out the candle (breath out).”
Ask the students to visualize what makes them feel happiest. What do you see/hear, where are you, what does that feeling remind you of?
Brain storm (2 mins)
Ask students to make a note of the thoughts and feelings they had. Restate the questions: What do you see/hear, where are you, what does that feeling remind you of?
Present the writing prompt: If you were in charge of the whole world, what would you do to make the world a happier place?
Write the poem (30 mins):
- Ask students to name their own town as the title of the poem.
- For the first line of the poem students will describe their plans: I (insert name) have decided to make some changes to make the world a happier place we will now _________________________________________________________ (fill in blank)
- _____________________________________________________________(describe why)
- How does doing your suggested change help people feel the way you do when you are the most happy?
- Happiness is __________________________________(fill in blank using metaphors)
- Write the following: “If I were to change the world, I would make it a happier place …”
- For __________________ (who do you want to change it for? Add one name or a list of names)
- Write the following “If I were in charge of the world …”
- ___________________________________( would be the answer )
- We call it________________________(insert town name)
Share out (8 mins):
Have students share poem with the group.
Bikini Bottom FrediRICO
I Brianna Green have decided to make some changes to make the world a happier place we will now only have cake for breakfast
This law to make everyone start the day on a good note.
You’ll be happy for a cool minute.
Happiness is like getting money.
Like opening Christmas presents.
Like getting a complement.
Like achieving your goals.
If I were to change the world, I would make it a happier place
Sister and friends.
If I were in charge of the world
Cake would be the answer
We call it Bikini Bottom FrediRICO.